Originally I wrote these prompts to be used in scrapbooking. I find it intimidating to journal in my scrapbook even after years of scrapbooking.
But since I originally wrote this, I more regularly art journal.
These prompts can help you get more introspective in any journal or scrapbook that you choose to use!
I’m personally going to be revisiting all of these prompts one by one. I’ll either create art journal pages or add to my scrapbook about myself.
I hope they help you think and be introspective about yourself. I know a lot of people spend a lot of time scrapbooking about other people and rarely get in their own scrapbook. Use these prompts to add yourself back into the memories.
It’s really important to be the main character of your own story, don’t you think?
How to use the prompts:
- You can add in little stories here and there in your regular scrapbook album.
- You could create an album all about you.
- You could use them as writing prompts in your journal (that you write in.)
- Use them as prompts to create in your art journal.
- Any other way you’d like to use them!
Prompts to Journal About Yourself:
- Why did your parents give you your name?
- What does your name mean?
- What is the story of your birth?
- What was happening in the world when you were born?
- What is your earliest memory?
- What is your earliest memory of home?
- What were your favorite activities as a child?
- Did you like to hide anywhere when you were a kid?
- What are your earliest memories of your mother? father?
- Do you have brothers and sisters? What are your memories of them?
- What was a significant event/trip/etc. from your childhood? and how did it affect you?
- Do you remember a favorite outfit from your childhood?
- Did you play any musical instruments/sports/take any lessons as a child?
- What was your relationship like with your grandparents?
- Write about an influential teacher.
- When did you start dating? What was it like for you?
- Write about your first crush.
- Describe your teenage social life.
- What color was your bedroom as a kid? How was it decorated?
- What are your favorite foods? What foods do you hate?
- Where do you want to travel, and why?
- What is the most wonderful thing that ever happened to you?
- What is the worst thing that ever happened to you?
- What is your favorite book, and how has it affected your life?
- What are the most important values to you?
- What is your favorite place to have visited/traveled to?
- Which of your mother’s personality traits do you share? Which of your father’s? How about from your grandparents?
- Do you have a best friend? What makes them so special to you?
- Who is your favorite author and why?
- Do you have a special Sunday routine? Tell about it.
- List all the places you have worked and something about each one.
- Compare things you like to do today to things you liked to do as a child.
- Were you afraid of the dark (or anything else as a child)?
- Name something that you’ve done that you’re proud of.
- Name your character traits
- What’s your favorite color – why?
- List some things you never thought you could do that you’ve done.
- Physical traits: eye color, hair, skin, etc.
- Your 10 greatest joys.
- If you had to evacuate your home, which of your possessions would you bring with you?
- What is the perfect day for you? (can specify to perfect spring day, summer day, autumn day, winter day)
- Do you have any reoccurring dreams?
- If you would choose a different time period to live in, when would it be? Why?
- Who do you miss most from your past?
- Who inspires you?
- What was your first car?
- One thing you want to change about yourself is . . .
- 10 of your worst pet peeves
- If you only had one week to live, what would you do?
- Top favorite songs right now
- Make a list of 5 ways you’ve changed in the last 5 years. What changes do you wish to make in the next 5 years?
- Happiness is . . .
- Your dream job would be . . .
- Write a letter to yourself 20 years in the future.
- Places I have lived, in the order in which I lived there.
- Is there someone who changed your life?
- What are some relationship that have had the greatest impact on your life?
- If you had an extra 1 million dollars to donate to a charity, which would it be and why?
- If you could have three wishes, what would they be?
- What are you truly afraid of?
- What did you do before we had the internet?
- Write about your favorite pet (past or present).
- What 10 things do you want to accomplish?
- You’re stranded on a desert island, what 10 things would you want to have with you?
- Describe the most serious illness or accident you have had.
- If you were to publish a book about yourself, what would you title it?
- Top ten unforgettable moments in your life.
- What are you learning from the book you are reading right now?
- Name five things in your refrigerator.
- If money was no factor, what would you be doing right now?
- Pick 5 adjectives to describe yourself and explain them.
- What makes you happy?
- Write about learning to drive.
- If you were forced to give up one of your senses, what would it be?
- What are your 5 favorite movies?
- If yo could be an animal, which one and why?
- The best gifts you have ever been given . . .
- Which monopoly player do you usually choose?
- The first thing you thought of when you woke up this morning was . . .
- What do you love to buy? Hate to buy?
- Do you collect anything?
- What would you like to change about yourself?
- What is your big dream? What are you passionate about?
- Do you have a favorite sports team?
- Make a list of all the things you are grateful for.
- Do you own an object of sentimental value? Why is it so sentimental?
- Are you a night owl or a morning person?
- What is your biggest vice?
- What do you consider your best characteristic?
- Do you have any nicknames? Do you like being called by them?
- What is the most beautiful thing in nature?
- If you could lie one day without consequences, what would you do?
- If you could either be invisible or fly, which would you choose?
- Do you believe in a higher power? Describe what you believe.
- Describe your first love.
- Write a letter to yourself as a child.
- What would you title your autobiography? Why?
- What are your favorite pastimes?
- Where is your favorite place?
- What little things have happened today that made a difference in your life.
Write any more suggestions in the comments below, or feel free to leave a link in the comments to a page/layout that you completed using one of the prompts!
Do you want to feel inspired and design your own jewelry based on art journal pages that you create with prompts?
Check out my Inspired eCourse!
The introduction is all about getting started art journaling and I also have some fun techniques for you.
Each week you’ll get a creativity activity and art journal prompt, create an art journal page and then I’ll show you a map to go from art journal page to inspired jewelry piece. You’ll be designing your own jewelry, but I also have a jewelry project each week to inspire you, give you techniques or you can make it if you’re feeling stuck.
Learn more about Inspired eCourse here.